Sunday, December 27, 2009

and so this is Christmas....

 Alright so, this possibly was the worst Christmas I think I have ever had. I found out that my ex is now dating his ex again. It always happens to me! I swear it does. It's like they date me and then all of a sudden realize how much they love their ex....and not me.



But this is how my day went. I woke up at 9:30, which I already consider as ridiculously late for a Christmas morning, and I walk downstairs in my house. I walk over to our really small tree to find.....that we had no presents. okay, thats a little overexaggerating we had about ten which were all for Mom and Dad. I guess I had a little heads up about this because I remember my mom saying how we were doing something different this year but I just figured  that she was pulling a prank on us like the one time a few years ago when she said we weren't getting any presents and then come Christmas morning there were more presents then I have ever seen! Anyways, so my parents have us gathered around and they tell us that they are just giving us money to shop for our own things. In theory I would love this, but I would rather have presents under the tree that were surprises.


So it comes night time and I get called up to go over to Sam's house because Chad (My BFF missionary) is going to call at 8. So I hurry on over there and about ten past 8 there is a call from North Dakota! sure enough, it's Elder Foulger but he calls and says hey, I'm still talking to my family can I call back in an hour? Sam says ok but to call his cell since we are going to a movie. Well I wasn't going to a movie but I was totally bummed that I wasn't going to get to talk to him until later so I accepted Sam's invitation of going with him and his friends. Sam and I drive over there and hang out with some people at their house until the movie starts which we then drive over for. It's roughly 10:15 now. Over an hour past the time that he said he would call. And yes. all this time I was holding Sam's phone watching it to make sure I wouldn't miss it if he ever called. By the time we had started walking up to the movie at 10:30, I had completely given up. Vowing not to write him for a few weeks because I was going to be mad at him, and saying in my head I wasn't going to send him another package blah blah blah and I handed Sam's phone back over to him.


We got into the movie (Avatar) and sat there waiting for the movie to start. Sam and I got a large popcorn and a large soda to share and Sam is sitting next to his girlfriend. and all of a sudden I hear / see his girlfriend walk out of the theatre with a pissed off look and think ah crap, there is gonna be drama. I turn over to Sam and he shrugs and says, apparently I've been a jerk all night? The movie starts and Sam turns to me and holds out his phone with a random number on it. BISMARK! I grabbed it from his hands and raced out of that theatre. I was a little disappointed when he asked me who was on the phone after I said hi. He didn't even recognize my voice! I was all jitters on the phone and it felt like only five minutes of talking to him but Sam said it was around 20. It was really late In North Dakota (probably 12) and I don't think he was supposed to be on the phone that late so I guess I should be grateful I got to talk to him some instead of none.


At the end when we were both saying goodbye I got so nervous. I was working up and building courage to say I love you at the end but for some reason I was so afraid and didn't think I should. We were closing up our phone conversation and I thought maybe he would say it first! So when he would say I should go now I would say, OK bye chad! but then he would say something else like....wait, I'll write you on Monday. or....wait, thank you so much for the packages they really mean a lot. until finally we both said goodbye and there was a silence and it was like we both didn't want to hang up the phone until we said something significant, then I hear    ......love you.        


ha ha it really wasn't something I should be over excited about but I really was. He has never said that to me! maybe in emails or letters or christmas cards where it is written down, but I've never heard him say that from his voice. it was awesome.


I missed some of the movie when I went back in but I had a blast laughing with Sam about how awesome and totally ridiculous the movie was. and the next day Sam broke up with his girlfriend! (good thing because he leaves on his mission in a few days).


you know what? now that I think about it, this Christmas was pretty OK. it didn't suck, and it wasn't the best Christmas everrr, but it was just ok and good. Maybe I should look back on my "worst" days  more often to really see that they aren't so bad after all.