Friday, December 2, 2011

My take on being healthy.

I'm majoring in Exercise & Wellness. I am just a health freak and I've been studying health and exercise for a long time. As a matter of fact, usually when I am introduced or I introduce myself...I am called the health or exercise freak. I don't mind.


Apparently when I was a baby all I would eat was the zucchini flavored baby food. When my mom was pregnant with me she said she craved healthy food all the time too!


What does this have to do anything? Well, a lot. I love to eat right and I LOVE to exercise. No not walk down the street, I like to break a sweat and leave a pool of it by the end of my spin class.
 I cannot stress more how much exercise is needed for a healthy lifestyle. People think they can just get away with cutting calories out of their diet. All that does is restrict calories from your metabolism not cut out your fat. Sorry, but good try. Restricting yourself in a diet does more harm than it does good in the long run.....unless you EXERCISE. I learn about so much crap each day in my health classes. and by crap I mean Cardiovascular disease, cancer, etc. etc. At least half of the risks of getting these diseases or illnesses or infections can be cut out by exercising regularly. yeah, genius. So everyone should be exercising right? YES. 


Some people think I exercise so that I can look good. NOPE. That's just a plus.


I take a spin class ALMOST (and when I say almost I mean unless I have absolutely no time to do so then I can't) every day. And every day in that class do you know what my motivation is? Push my heart & Push my VO2 max. For the health noobs, VO2 max means max volume of oxygen capacity in your lungs and body. And a higher VO2 max I have the better I am able to perfom in cardiovascular exercise and the better oxygen that is given to my blood cells and to my brain and etc. (seriously so many benefits to exercise)


Seriously everyone should do this. Not necessarily my motivation of pushing my VO2 max, but push your heart. It will push your mind and push your body. 


ALSO, everyone should be taking supplemental vitamins.
Depends on what you really need....but for me I take these.


OMG am I pregnant??!
no. For some reason some women think you have to be pregnant to take prenatals. nope! They have soooo many good vitamins in one tablet, and a plus they don't make me sick!
The main reason why I started taking these were to help my hair grow out, which not only helped a lot but it also helped my nails. My nails grow at least 2x as fast as they normally would without these prenatals.

One of the only Iron supplements I have found that are in a chewable form. 
chewable = doesn't make nauseous.
Most women should definately be taking Iron as a dietary supplement.

I recommend any Vitafusion supplements.
They are a fun way to take vitamins. Instead of just swallowing they are gummy and almost taste like candy! These are the only gummies I take right now though as the prenatal gummies were starting to get nasty (I had gone through 6 bottles and the taste just got yucky to me). I would like to say that this Power C supplement singlehandedly got me through almost being sick last week. Pulled my body right out of that slump before actually catching the sickness!
These are amazing. They have sooo much vitamin C.
On the bottle it says...2 gummies (a day's worth) equals to the same amount of vitamin C that 10 tangerines have. CRAZY right?

The last bottle of supplements I take are these Omega 3 fish oil pills.
These are EXTREMELY amazing for your health.
How? 
They lower triglycerides.
They reduce blood clots and plaque buildup in arteries.
They improve skin health.
They improve mental health.
They Improve menstrual health. (yes)
They help improve lung health.
....
I'm not even done but there are lots more.

The thing I love most about health is that it's logical. You ate junk and you don't feel good? I wonder why? It's just pure logical, what you put in your body is how your body is going to function. Our bodies are made to move so if we don't move our bodies and we get a type of cardiovascular disease or ache joints then is it really that big of a surprise? we are supposed to exercise.

I could go on forever. I love exercise & wellness.


No comments: